12/16/2006

Today's post is brought to you by...

Neodymium. It's interesting enough, for a metal. Makes neat little magnets that will mystify your cats for hours, not to suggest that's difficult. My question for you: Can you tell me what the magnets are sticking to in this photo?



Anyone who has construction experience should know.

I didn't intend to take a week off without posting! Finals are over, by the way, but I've seen so much carbon lately that I need a (brief) break from it. This also explains why You can expect a post or two about magnetic materials soon, and a brief series about how field-effect transistors work and what you can do with them.

For anyone else who is going through a week of exams, my condolences.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming that the walls are of a fairly recent construction (last 30 years or so). If the walls are plasterboard then the corners are often reinforced with a strip of steel that is shaped into a right angle and runs from floor to ceiling. Each side is about an inch wide and once attached the whole setup is painted. You can check the width by checking where the magnets don't stick anymore. The vertical edge can sometimes be seen below the paint, in this photo apparently almost in line with the upright of the letter 'a' in "What ...".

Ψ*Ψ said...

Yup. Sticking to the corner bead.